View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 AM   #44
FJ-OLLIE
Full Access Member

Send a message via Skype™ to FJ-OLLIE

One of the things I needed to come up with for this new rack was how to mount the side lights(s) because I don't want to drill holes in the tube frame of the rack. I had them temporarily zip tied on. Well this morning I had an idea pop into my head and I ran over to Home Depot at lunch and picked up some U-bolts. After some shaving of the U-bolt's I.D. and cutting off some excess threads I added a little black paint and whalla. Now my lights are securely mounted to the rack.

After starting to wire up my lights on my rack I had a vision. On my old rack I had one Hella pointing out off of each side of the rack. That provided me with sufficient lighting to the sides...... oh wait a minute.... there is no such thing as sufficient lighting (right Larry?). So I decided to take the Hell's I had on the back of my rack and put those on the side too. Now I'll have one light toward the front and one light toward the rear like so.

I have two lights in my garage to add to the rear so now I just need to find a way to mount those and finish up my wiring and the rack illumination will be complete (for now).

I am now drawing up plans for two modules that can be attached to the rack that will hold three Jerry cans each. I'm putting plans together to make everything modular for the rack so things can be added or removed based on the trip I go on then strip it clean for day to day stuff since my FJ is my daily driver.

OLLIE
(K6JYB)
FJ-OLLIE is offline   Reply With Quote