View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
FJTom
Full Access Member

Sorry I'm late!

I saw my first FJ in probably 07 or so. I was driving a Dodge Durango at the time. Not 4 wheel drive or anything but I really liked that car. I had never had a 4x4. My GF at the time pointed one out to me and I thought it was pretty cool looking but not much more. The more I saw them around town (was living in Tulsa at the time) the more they grew on me. I had also seen the new Chevy Colorados around and I loved those too. I deliberated for awhile. Gas prices were rising, I was going to buy a house in Atlanta, I thought the FJ was just a 2 door (had never actually seen one up close so I never noticed the suicide doors)...the truck seemed like the way to go. Also one of my favorite vehicles to date was my Chevy Silverado that I decided to get rid of when the lease was up and ended up getting a Ford Exploder Sport (blech!) I missed my Silverado as soon as I left it at the dealer. So I thought maybe the Colorado would bring back a little bit of that feeling.

So anyway, I traded in my Durango on a new Colorado Z71. That was a nice truck and my first 4x4. I bought my house, I moved to Atlanta, the years went by and every time I saw an FJ my eyes longingly followed it down the road. One day I happened to see one in a parking lot and noticed the suicide doors. oh sweet so it isn't just a 2 door! I've always been about a 3 year per car person and that time was coming up on my Colorado and I had just paid it off so I started seriously thinking about getting an FJ. Not forgetting the Ford Explorer debacle, I figured I better go test drive one and make sure I really liked them before pulling the trigger (haha sorry couldn't resist!). I found a local dealer with a used Brick FJ and I went for the test drive. Right out of the lot we passed another FJ and I got the FJ wave. nice! I loved it! I had read some bad reviews about the ride and the blond spots and blah blah blah blah...I thought the ride was great! I really didn't get what they were walking about. I was hooked. But, I was between jobs and wasn't starting my new one for a month or so so I had to hold off a little bit. Feeding the monkey by searching the internet for FJ related stuff I learned of the Army Green 2010. Now I had to deliberate again....used or new? Knowing I really wanted the Army Green I talked myself into it by saying I didn't want to buy someone else's problems with a used one. Learning of some of the issues with the earlier models I am glad I did cos at the time I wouldn't have known to look for things like fender bulges or cracks. Even though these are probably rare on your average non-modded, mall-crawling FJ.

So I called my credit union and got some financing set up, sent out an email to a few local dealers late at night and the next morning a guy called me from the nearest Toyota dealer asked me what I was looking to pay, I said "as close to invoice as possible." He said "How about 500 over." I said "I'll be right there." An hour later i was test-driving my AG. Got back and started the paper work and then got to laugh at another guy who had driven his 07 Voodoo Blue 2 hours to trade in on the AG but I beat him by like ten minutes. Suckah!

So, that's MY story! I kind of agree with JackRabbit on the AG color. Not quite plastic but it has a bit of a weird look to it. Especially stock. I loved the color but didn't fall IN love with it until I got the steelies and BFGs and started blacking stuff out. I think that makes a huge difference on the AG.

So here she is

Then

Now

I really need to get those mirrors blacked out!
FJTom is offline   Reply With Quote