View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
FJ-OLLIE
Full Access Member

Send a message via Skype™ to FJ-OLLIE

I originally installed an Extreme Outback Extremaire compressor in my rig. It was a great compressor. I had it installed in my cargo area inside my truck though. It is a loud compressor and I got tired of hearing it running in my truck when charging my tanks. Additionally, I had it installed on top of my subwoofer and when I changed my stereo to an aftermarket one the subwoofer was made ineffective. The dead woofer was taking space which could be better utilized for more economic gear storage. I started doing research but couldn't find a smaller compressor that could perform as well as my Extremaire. I finally came to a solution when I installed the ARB bumper. I ended up buying a Viair 480C Twin-Pack compressor system. The ARB has enough space in each bumper wing to mount a compressor. I just had to come up with a way to get the intakes up out of the wheel well area due to water crossings.
I installed the compressor in each wing and put a QD from each compressor through the top of the bumper so a have a connection source on each side of the truck. I then ran a 3/8" rubber line down each frame rail back to my 2 gallon air tank to feed my air horns and effectively tie the two compressors together so they air volume to each QD feeds off the cumulitive output of them both. I also valved them so if one fails or if I develop a leak in either side I can run off of one side independently sacrificing half the air volume due to the loss of one compressor. I can live with that in a pinch. I will just have to wait longer to fill a tire.

FJ-OLLIE is offline   Reply With Quote