View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #34
FJTonka

My story... In 2005, I broke my back for the third time. I was rear-ended by a really unintelligent person who was speeding on wet roads. Luckily for me, he hit another vehicle before crashing into my Dodge Dakota. He hit hard enough that my seat back broke and I was bent backwards over the seat from the impact. I broke L3, L4, L5, and S1. After five surgeries and many drugs, two other pick-up trucks, and the settlement of a lawsuit, I decided that I wanted to get another 4x4. One stipulation... it had to be comfortable on my back. The time was April of 2007.

After many searches, road trips, and countless hours with sales people, I decided that the FJ Cruiser was the vehicle for me. The vehicle that had the most comfortable seats was a Hummer H2, but I could not afford one of those. I found a TRD FJ on the website of a "local" dealer. That dealer was about 50 miles away. I called them to inquire about the vehicle. I was told that it was available and very sweet. So, I get my things together and make the trip to the dealership.

What do you think that I find when I get there? No TRD FJ! In fact, it had been sold three weeks prior. When asked about the phone conversation and subsequent travel to the facility, the manager pointed out that they had many other FJ's and he was sure that I would find the right one for me. I told him where he could pack sand and left the dealership.

At which point, I decided to go back to Indy and see a dealer on the northside that I had spoken with a few months before while waiting on my settlement. Upon walking onto the showroom floor, I was greeted by a very nice lady who understood exactly what I had just gone through with the other dealer. She was aware of their tactics.

She and I spoke for quite a while before ever getting to the part of the discussion about purchasing an FJ. We went out to the lot and walked around, looked in, and generally inspected every FJ that was there. None of them jumped out at me and yelled take me home. She saw my disappointment and made a suggestion. She suggested that I come back in a few days because they had another FJ that was out getting some modifications. She was sure that it would be something that I like. I agreed to wait it out and come see her later in the week.

What I found upon returning was a Sun Fusion FJ on the showroom floor that immediately screamed my name. The modification that she had mentioned was custom leather seating with a heat option! With a bad back, heated seats were something that I did not think I could get as it wasn't an option on the FJ.

We took it for a ride. She suggested that I keep it for a few days to see how I like it. As a bonus, she would have my pick-up detailed in case I decided not to buy the FJ. I drove it for only a day before returning with a check to fill out. After a little haggling and discussions on the worth of my Chevy, I wrote a check and walked out with the keys for my brand new 2007 FJ.

I have made many modifications on my own since that time. I have many more to do, but this damn economy has put a damper on that. Since that time in April of 2007, I have put many miles in many locations on the Tonka Toy. I have no plans of getting rid of her at any time. I do want to purchase anotehr vehicle when I can afford one. You can bet that I will return to where I got my FJ from. I have had no other dealer ever do so much and provide the level of customer service that I was given.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0053.jpg (92.5 KB, 5 views)
FJTonka is offline   Reply With Quote