Thread: Nerf bars
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
VuDuWho
Full Access Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Sensible View Post
Right on. Can I throw some advice your way. Before you spend too much money on mods for your truck, read, read, read. This and other forums. Anything you can get your eyes across. After you've read till your head hurts, start thinking about what you want to do with your FJ. Once you have an idea about that, start working towards that. Otherwise, you might find yourself in the situation where you order a part today, that 4 months from now you realize you don't want.

Personal example. When I bought my FJ, I ordered a grille guard. I wanted an aftermarket bumper, but didn't have the money at the time. Before I could get the guard out of the box I decided to just save up for a bumper. Which I've done. I still have a multiple hundred dollar purchase sitting in a box in my closet.

Now specifically how this all applies to your recent purchase. Just be aware, nerf bars bolt to the body, not to the frame. If you drive across anything that ends up pushing up on those bars, i.e. a rock or stump, not only will it mangle those bars, but it will also do body damage. If you were to order a set of rock rails that bolt to the frame, you will be (if you order the right kind) adding a step, like a nerf bar, but you'll also be adding some body armor to protect a portion of your undercarriage from harm.

The cheapest ones out there (which is what I have as well) are Trail Gear Sliders. Here, scroll down.
http://www.trail-gear.com/fj-cruiser
Funny you say read to your head hurts... that's exactly what I've been doing .. literally. Almost all my waking hours have been reading about a specific upgrade, researching across multiple sites in regards to input, reviews, feedback, cost & value.

I don't plan to do extensive offroading ... maybe some lighter trails, etc ... but regardless, I will definitely keep your input at the forefront as I continue to make upgrades ... most of the additional stuff I'll be doing : tires, rims, stereo, and some very basic appearance mods. Again, thanks for the input!! Greatly appreciate you looking out for a newbie like me!

Off topic : military veteran?
VuDuWho is offline   Reply With Quote