Go Back   Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > FJ Cruiser General Discussion > FJ Cruiser General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

FJ Cruiser General Discussion Here you can discuss topics that don't fit in to any other categories!

sand/bridging ladders?

This is a discussion on sand/bridging ladders? within the FJ Cruiser General Discussion forums, part of the FJ Cruiser General Discussion category!
So what do you guys think of them? I was reading about them the other day. Seems to me, that ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 03:40 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default sand/bridging ladders?

So what do you guys think of them? I was reading about them the other day. Seems to me, that sand ladders are rather pointless, just in the sense that a sand ladder is only a sand ladder but a bridging ladder can be used for either. A really common one right now is the MAXTRAX option. Any thoughts on homemade ones? I've read where people will buy catwalk planks, weld an extra support beam underneith and you're set. I found this site bridging ladder? Seems like a good site to order a plank from. I don't know enough about gauges and types of metals to really know what I'm looking at. Just curious about peoples thoughts.
Capt Sensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Full Access Member

Seems like a good idea if you are doing a lot of driving in sand. I really don't know anything about them either. Are bridging ladders strong enough to drive over? Hence the "bridging?"
FJTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Super Moderator

http://www.britishpacific.com/BPSite...ingLadder.html

Yeah, a sand ladder is just for traction in loose terrain, same concept as stuffing a floor mat under your wheel, or piling up rocks, etc... A bridging ladder can be used for this, also it can support the weight of the vehicle so if there is ditch you cannot drive over, use the ladder, or if you're trying to go up or down something vertical, you can use it to sort of form a ramp to assist in the angle. I think they're just another tool to carry, and more than anything I would only be interested in makeing my own, on the cheap. The link above the aluminum bridging ladders they show there are $455 for 2. Thats a wee bit to steep for me.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Full Access Member

hmm interestng. I can see where the bridging ladder would come in handy but yeah that is a little pricey....and the sand ladder, as you said, well....there are lots of things you could do to get the same effect. So.....I guess if you are pretty serious into off-roading they might be worth it. I don't see myself putting them on my list

oh I just noticed those sand ladders are 300 bux! If I were going to spend that kind of money I would pay the extra and get the bridging ladders
FJTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Super Moderator

zachary.